The 2019 TOHO Challenge is inspired by southwestern colors—imagine sand and surf at a California sunset, walking the beach, listening to the waves, and enjoying the light as it fades into the horizon of the ocean. In addition to our Featured Designers who were invited to participate, the TOHO Challenge is open to the public to allow all designers worldwide, to challenge themselves with the salty ocean air color palette. Some lucky designers will get their hands on Mini-Starter Kits to get them started and get those creative juices flowing!
You can view all submissions from all designers participating in the Mini-Challenge on our Facebook page!
Mini-Starter Kits are obtained at some bead shows, such as the 2019 To Bead True Blue Tucson Show or 2019 Bead & Button Show. If you’re unable to attend but would like to participate in this year’s Challenge, we encourage all designers and artists to purchase the beads in the Challenge from their favorite local bead stores or online retailers.
Remember, create an original design in the medium of your choice using the TOHO seed beads and Czech glass beads listed in the 2019 Challenge palette.
2019 TOHO Challenge Color Palette:
TOHO Seed Bead Color Numbers:
#55F Turquoise Matte
#132 Turquoise Luster
#162B Transparent Topaz Rainbow
#201 Amethyst Gold Luster
#221 Bronze Metallic
#384 Green Lined Blue Zircon Iris
#514F Copper Gold Higher Metallic Matte
#706 Teal Iris Metallic Matte
#PF592F Galvanized Golden Fleece Matte PermaFinish
#PF594F Galvanized Bronze Matte PermaFinish
#PF2110 Peach Opal silver lined PermaFinish
Starman Czech Glass Bead Colors:
Sueded Gold Turquoise (MSG6313)
Bronze Metallic (90215)
Transparent Champagne Luster (14413)
Transparent Topaz/Pink Luster (15495)
Rules for Starter Kit and project submissions:
- You are strongly encouraged to use at least some of each color in the starter kit if you obtained one or the Color Palette list above to create one eye-catching display piece.
- You are allowed to use more of the same TOHO and Czech beads that we have provided in the kit, as well as any additional TOHO bead shapes or Starman Czech bead shapes of your choice in any of the colors on the list. Find more beads in the palette colors at your favorite local bead shop or online retailer.
- No other seed beads or Czech beads may be used!
- You can add one Focal item of your choice.
- You can use any clasp, findings, backing, threads, and fibers, but make sure they stay within the Challenge Color Palette and are used sparingly.
Send photos of your completed design to:
[email protected] or message us on TeamTOHO Facebook page and we’ll feature your design on our social media sites. Send us a photo by August 15, 2019 and you may be chosen for Featured Designer opportunities in the future.