The 2023 TOHO Challenge is here! To participate, submit an original jewelry design made with the chosen colors for this year. The theme for this year’s challenge is “Nothing Gold Can Stay,” inspired by a poem by Robert Frost. Here’s what Rochelle Petersen, one of the leaders behind the TOHO Challenge, has to say about this year’s theme:
“I feel we really need to celebrate those special Golden moments that come to us in life, they are so fragile that they don’t always last very long at the time, but we remember them fondly forever!”
You can find a list of the 2023 TOHO Challenge colors below, along with shopping links and rules for how to participate.
2023 TOHO Challenge Rules
Create an original design in the medium of your choice using TOHO seed beads and Starman Czech glass beads from the 2023 TOHO Challenge palette. Note that not all retailers may use the same color names shown, but the color numbers should be the ones referenced:
TOHO Seed Bead Color Numbers:
#46 – Opaque Oxblood/Dark Brown
#762 – Opaque Matte Ivory/Ivory Chalk Matte
#PF557 – PermaFinish – Galvanized Starlight/ Gold Galvanized PermaFinish
#PF557F – PermaFinish – Galvanized Matte Starlight/ Gold Galvanized Matte PermaFinish
#421 – Transparent Pink Gold Luster/Rose Gold Luster
#1201 – Marbled Opaque Beige-Pink/Mauve-Peach Marbled
#202 – Transparent Lilac Gold Luster/Amethyst Gold Luster
#1209 – Marbled Opaque Avocado/Pink/Avocado/Cranberry Marbled Opaque
#502 – Higher Metallic Amethyst/Plum Iris Higher Metallic
#703 – Matte Color Mauve Mocha/ Plum Iris Metallic Matte
#707 – Matte Color Iris Peridot/Green Iris Metallic Matte
#180 – Transparent Rainbow Olivine
#5002 Brown RE: glass beads made of recycled Brown glass (New from TOHO, coming soon!)
Starman Czech Glass Bead Colors:
P65491 – Luster-Opaque Rose/Gold Topaz
9011 – Garnet/Garnet AB/Garnet Matte
P15695 – Luster-Opaque Gold/Smoky Topaz
K0171 – Matte Metallic Flax
K0189 – Matte Metallic Lava
21455 – Iris Green Metallic
79052 – Metallic Suede Dark Forest
Rules for TOHO Challenge Mini Kit Participants:
- You are strongly encouraged to use at least some of each color in the 2023 palette to create one eye-catching piece.
- You are allowed to use more of the same TOHO and Starman Czech beads that we have provided in the kit. As many as you wish, but they must be the exact color numbers on the list. TOHO seed beads should be the star of the show!
- No other seed beads or Czech beads may be used!
- You can add one Focal item of your choice, such as one single pendant or cabochon. For example, a strand of stones (or any other beads not listed above) does not qualify as one item.
- You can use any clasp, findings, backing, threads, and fibers—but make sure they stay within the challenge color palette and are used sparingly.
Some of the featured designers are chosen from participating people who take the challenge themselves, so send us photos of your finished challenge design by September 15th 2023, by messaging us on TeamTOHO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TeamTOHO/ and email your photos to email@example.com.
You can see more inspiration for this challenge on the Team TOHO Facebook page as submissions come in!